A Hairy Navel is like the older sibling to the Fuzzy Navel. The difference between the two is that the first one has vodka in it, making it a stronger drink. This is why it is no longer fuzzy!
The fuzzy navel made was created in the 1980’s, when everyone was looking for the next big cocktail, in Omaha Nebraska at the Wagon Tongue Bar. It was mixed by Jack Sherman, who worked for Phillips & Sons Liquor, who gave it the name “fuzzy navel”. This new craze was noted by New York Times critic William Grimes as “a kind of cult, rallying points for young drinkers in search of fun and not too picky about taste”.
Lastly, the Fuzzy Navel name isn’t referring to a hairy belly-button. Fuzzy is for the surface of the peach in the schnapps and Navel is the kind of orange that was used to make the juice! Makes more sense now huh? Although I think they used that word play on purpose…
Ingredients needed to make a Hairy Navel:
- Peach Schnapps
- Orange juice
- highball glass
How to Make a Hairy Navel:
- Pour 1.5 ounces of vodka into a glass or cocktail shaker filled with ice.
A lot of recipes only add 1 ounce of vodka, but nothing wrong with adding a little extra 😉
- Pour 1 ounce of peach schnapps.
If you have a standard shot glass, 1.5 ounces is almost to the rim, so 2/3’s full would be about 1 ounce.
- Pour 5 ounce of orange juice.
Basically you just want to add enough to top off your drink
- Shake or mix your cocktail and serve.
You just want all the ingredients to mix together and not separate.
Go the Extra Mile:
- Add a little grenadine to your cocktail to make it a Bloody Navel
- Top off with some brandy for a Dark Hairy Navel
- Add a few ounces of Champagne to make it a Fizzy Hairy (Fuzzy) Navel
- Replace the peach schnapps with peach flavored vodka for a Very Hairy Navel